Thursday, May 14, 2009

I came. I had to go. I squatted.

So I'm having this amazing time in Beijing. Lots to say. No time to write all that I want to write. No worries though: I'm doing lots of journaling! (obviously "journaling" is not a word because it's showing up red on here)

But a quick story.

As you know from my previous posting, I was really afraid of the whole squat and pee/poop situation. I was told that because I was going to downtown Beijing in a nice fancy hotel I wouldn't have to worry about it. They were right.

However, we traveled 3 hours north of Beijing on Wednesday to visit a remote area of the Great Wall. After trekking through desolate villages (and my bladder starting to become uncomfortably full from the water and coffee I was drinking) I began to hyperventilate, anticipating the inevitable 'squat-n-pee' I was bound to endure.

Needless to say, before making the climb toward the great wall, I went to the room marked "toilet" and there it was: my nemesis... the hole in the bottom of the floor. With shaking limbs I got into position, hanging onto the door with my fingers for dear life (fearing my balance was off and I'd fall back INTO the hole) and did the deed. I then proceeded to use about 40 baby wipes (they don't have toilet paper) on any part of me capable of receiving "sprayage," zipped up and went outside. There was a sign on the toilet that said "please save water" so I assume they meant that unless it's number two you aren't supposed to flush... I flushed anyway. Who wants to pee on top of pee?

So I did it. I faced a fear and I overcame it. Or at least squatted on it.

No comments: